Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Last minute shopping?



Update from an earlier post "Buy a share in a satellite" ---- an email I received today....

Dear Friends,

You are one of the over 530 people from 30 different countries who have donated to the BuyThisSatellite.org campaign. Some of you may be spending the day with your family and friends celebrating Christmas.  Others are treating this day just like any other.  Together we've raised almost $30,000.  Over 100 people have volunteered their services on our volunteer form.  Some bought shirts as Christmas presents recognizing that the gift of access for others is far more vital than any trinket:

"I donated three times. I am giving them all away as presents. This year I am implementing a "donation only" policy with my family and friends.  I'm a web / technology developer and I love bringing great technology to the market. However, the more I work, the more I have come to believe that the ones who need technology most are the ones who receive it least, and the ones who need technology least have the most of it." - Alex

And others donated for reasons we never anticipated:

"I come from a family of holocaust survivors and I donated $1,000.  Since I was a young kid I asked how the world did not come to our help during the holocaust.  I was told time and time again, "We (the world) didn't know."  I keep asking this question many times: The Chinese cultural revolution, Cambodia, Lebanon... I am donating in the name of my grandmother who lived through the horrors of the concentration camps and for the better future for my kids" -Roni

The Internet made all of this possible.  Online news organizations and blogs like BoingBoing.com, Al Jazeera, Popular Science, Space.com... covered our story.  1,500 people follow our updates on Facebook.com, our founder Kosta Grammatis was invited to give a TEDx talk in Athens Greece, and now we now have the opportunity to stay in touch with each and every one of you, to say thank you for your donation, via e-mail.

The beauty of the Internet is that it already connects billions of people to the incredible tools and resources available online.  We will work to bring this opportunity to the billions of others who aren't so lucky.

Thank you for your support.  Please continue to share this idea with your family and friends this holiday season.

With Gratitude,
Team BuyThisSatellite.org